moderated Re: Control Alt J Not Working to Open JAWS

Richard Turner

its easier to use the Windows 1, etc. or to tap windows and type a couple letters when you have programs that start with the same letter.
Of course, it's easiest if the standard hotkeys from the desktop worked the way they do without Jaws.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

On Jul 17, 2020, at 4:03 PM, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...> wrote:

If you have a desktop icon for your JAWS or any ap, just hit Windows D and hit the first letter of the ap that you wish to open.

Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: Control Alt J Not Working to Open JAWS

Everyone experiencing this, please contact Freedom Scientific.

Changing the icon name does nothing for me, no desktop shortcuts work.

This is not true for everyone, but for those of us for whom it is true, it is a pain in the butt!

I now either use the Windows 1 through 0 keys for programs pinned to the task bar, or I tap the Windows Key and type enough of the name to get a match and hit enter.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 2:49 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

I too have had no joy with desktop shortcuts ever since installing JAWS 2020.  It is not only the JAWS hot key that doesn’t work, but all of my short cuts that quit working.

Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 9:06 AM

From a fellow sufferer of this bug, I’m guessing she is running Jaws 2020 on Windows 10, or 2019 on Windows 10.  I reported this bug last year to FS and discovered that only a few people had this issue.

Eric Damery did a tandem session with me and he could observe it on my machine, this  was still with Jaws 2019.

They thought they had solved it in 2020, which did work fine for about 4 days.

Then, I lost the ability to use the shortcuts I had created.

So, I switched to using the pin to task bar, I think it is called, where Windows Key plus 1 launches the first program in the order pinned, etc.

I am the only user of this machine, I have admin rights up the ying yang, yet, they do not seem to know what causes this.

This is a Del Inspiron  57 something or other, laptop.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Kingsbury
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 6:23 AM
To: 'JAWS Main Discussion List' <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Control Alt J Not Working to Open JAWS

Hi all,

I am working with a student who, when she hits Control Alt J to open JAWS, nothing happens. Same thing with hitting Control Alt N to open NVDA. I know that it is set correctly in JAWS shortcut Properties and she has admin privileges, so that is not the problem. Any idea what the problem might be? Does it have anything to do with updating drivers or something like that? If so, what do you do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David    

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.