moderated reading pdf documents with jaws.

Patrick Murphy

Hi,

I am using excel and ms word.

When i save files as pdf, jaws reads out text even if it cannot be seen.

I had my son look at a particular document, and this is basically what he told me.

I had 8 cells of excel merged.

In this i had “if you have any questions in relation to this, please contact the company using the details above”.

When i look at it in excel, jaws reads out the entire thing.

When i save it as a pdf, jaws reads out the entire thing.

However, when my son looks at the pdf, he only sees the text as far as the word “using”.

Everything after this is truncated.

With regard to word, if i create a table, and things are not properly presented in the columns, jaws just reads it as if everything is ok.

For example, if there is too much text in a column of a table, to the eye, it looks like it is “pushed” up.

At least, thats the way my son explained it to me.

However, as i said, jaws reads it just fine in word and as a pdf.

I suppose, basically what i am trying to get at here, is:

Does anyone know of a way, to have jaws just read out what someone with sight would actually see?

To have jaws speaking text that is hidden from the eye, is causing problems.

Regards,

pat