moderated Re: Windows 10 question

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:12 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Do NOT force Version 2004 (May 2020 Update) on your system unless you have clear justifications.
And I'll second that advice!!

The only reason I would force an update to Version 2004 at this point in time is if I had a machine that somehow never updated beyond 1803.  At the moment Versions 1809, 1903, and 1909 remain in support.

If you have Version 1809, when it is announced as officially going out of support (its length of support was extended secondary to the global pandemic) I would then manually trigger an update to Version 2004.

For all others, either wait until:

1.  The version you are on is announced as going out of support and you have not yet had the Version 2004 update apply.

2.  Microsoft announces that Version 2004 is officially "good to go for everyone."  I suspect it will be some months until this happens.

Several of us have given the advice in the numbered list above for each and every feature update, just substituting the appropriate version number in place of 2004.  Once the second feature update of 2020 is officially released, the advice will apply to triggering that update as well.

The easiest way to think of this is there is absolutely no reason to rush a feature update if there is not a very good reason for doing so, and there is absolutely no reason not to force a feature update if for some reason your machine "became stuck" on a Windows 10 version that is going out of support (which circles back to creating a very good reason for triggering a feature update manually - as something about Windows Update on the machine that hasn't presented a feature update to the user over several feature updates is definitely broken).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss