moderated Re: duck duck go browser

Margaret Thomas

Thank you, Steve. I'm running a version of Firefox before 78 and with all the Firefox problems, I think it's best not to add anything to it in case it makes things worse. Chrome is my default browser. Before I try to do the Chrome equivalent of your instructions should I get the DuckDuckGo extension for Chrome? It looked like the extension was at the Google store and not on the DuckDuckGo page when I looked this morning. Is this correct?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Margaret

On 7/14/2020 8:19 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
That's because it's not a browser. It's a search engine. The instructions talk about clicking on a magnifying glass in a search bar, but none of that is accessible to us screenreader user types. So instead, do this in Firefox, or the applicable thing in your Web browser of choice:
1. Open Firefox.
2. Open the Tools menu with Alt plus T.
3. In the search field type:
search engine
and press ENTER. You could type just the word "search," but that yields too many choices.
4. If you like, read the resulting page, or just shortcut the whole process by finding the combo box that shows your current default search engine.
5. To change it, tap the space bar or press ENTER, then use the vertical (Up/Down) arrow keys to select Duck Duck Go, and press ENTER to close the combo box, which will save your change.
All done.
On 7/14/2020 11:12 AM, Margaret Thomas wrote:
Mike and All:

It's been a long morning and I'm probably missing something obvious, but using the link in the post, I'm not finding a way of downloading DuckDuckGo as a browser on Windows 10 Pro with JAWS 2020.

Google Chrome is my default browser.  Am I correct that if, I want to make Chrome more private, I should get the DuckDuckGo Chrome extension? And it's at the Chrome store?  And I don't need an extension for DuckDuckGo as a browser?

Any help straightening me out will be greatly appreciated.

Margaret

On 6/24/2020 12:04 PM, Mike B wrote:
Here you go:
https://duckduckgo.com/install