moderated Re: Windows 10 question

Mario

oh, I see. thanks again.

-------- Original Message --------
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 5:32 PM
Subject: Windows 10 question
Hi,
The "Pause updates for 7 days" button was added in consideration for Windows 10 Home users in Version 1903. Prior to Version 1903, Windows 10 Home users could not pause updates, but Windows 10 Pro and up can (the ability to pause updates was present since 2015, but it showed up on Settings in 2017). Also, whereas the button present in Windows Update main page will pause updates for seven days straight unless you choose to resume update checks, the one found in Advanced options will let you specify exactly when you wish to let Windows start checking for updates.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 2:20 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Windows 10 question

but if you have Windows 10 Pro, updates can be delayed for longer than 7 days. but what I don't understand is why in the advanced settings there is also a Temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device for up to 35 days combo box.

isn't it a bit redundant? if not, what is the difference between the two settings?

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 4:40 PM
There's nothing to check. Updates are no longer an option in Windows 10.
That is, you can't say you don't want them. The best you can cd is pause them for seven days.

On 7/14/2020 4:23 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
How do I check to see if automatic updates are inabled?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: July 14, 2020 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: Windows 10 question

Hi,
The fastest way to find out what Windows 10 release you are using is:
Start
menu, type "winver" (without quotes) and press Enter. Listen to the line that starts with "Version".
As for automatic updates: yes, it is advised to keep this enabled. In the past, people gave conflicting advice in regards to keeping automatic updates on or off, mainly because of concern that you may find yourself upgraded to more recent Windows 10 release (termed "feature updates"). Times have changed since then - Microsoft will not install new Windows 10 feature updates
(releases)
unless your system (hardware and software) is deemed compatible with the new update.
Although the following will not directly address automatic updates question posed, it provides a short overview on what is happening with feature updates
(source: the Win10 forum I mentioned earlier):
https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/45181?p=,,,100,0,0,0::Created,,featu

re+updates,100,2,0,74554449
Cheers,
Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 1:11 PM

Hi again all,
Can someone please tell me how to find out what vertion of Windows 10 I'm running? Just curious to know that's all. Also, should I have automatic updates turned on? Thanks Madison

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.