moderated Re: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

Hi Paul,

There is a difference between turning on the screen curtain on an iPhone and saving battery. A few things are involved here:

1. If you have an iPhone like the iPhone X, XS/XS Max or 11S/11S Max which have OLEd screens and not LCD screens, turning on screen curtain may in fact save a little bit of battery because OLED screens do not require backlighting like LCD screens.

2. In theory if you have an LCD screen model like the iPhone 8, SE, XR or 11 then turning on screen curtain makes no difference because it simply makes every pixel on the screen black. However, in recent versions of iOS I believe turning on screen curtain also drops the brightness level to 0% and in fact that is where your battery savings comes in. Of course you could overwrite automatic brightness and turn the brightness to 0% manually and if you did this there would be no difference in battery usage whether screen curtain is on or not, it's the brightness level/backlighting which uses up battery power.

I am not sure how this works on a laptop, but I assume turning on Jaws screen shade does not change the brightness level and if that is true then turning it on will make no difference to how much battery is used up.

Best regards,

Sieghard