moderated Re: Sound Card Keep Awake Option

Patrick Murphy

Hi guys,

I just tried this option with jaws2020 latest update and a set of headfones (don’t know the make).

This might be of some use to someone.

I am using windows 10 home edition and jaws2020 latest versions of everything.

When I turn on my headfones first, they still cut out, even with jaws set to keep the sound card awake.

The only way to have this option actually work for me, is to shutdown jaws2020 and then restart it.

After that, everything works fine.

However, if I then turn off the headfones and turn them on again, they keep cutting out as if the jaws option is not set.

So to summarize:

Turn on headfones.

Turn off jaws.

Restart jaws.

Ye!!!

Haven’t tried it with speakers, as I have a pare of sony srs x-11.

They are absolutely useless, in that they connect to my bluetooth, once every 300 years!!!

Hope this helps someone,

pat

From: Jessica D
Hi,

I’m curious why the option to have jaws not cutoff words, is only available when audio ducking is disabled.

I use audio ducking all the time, but would still love to be able to take advantage of this feature.

Thanks,

Jessica

From:
Bill White

Hi, Jessica. The reason the new setting in JAWS to keep sound cards awake is not enabled while Audio Ducking is enabled is because, while audio is being
ducked, another application is running which uses the sound card. If another application is using the sound card, that application will usually keep the
sound card awake, independently of JAWS.

Bill White

New Option to Keep Wireless Speakers and Sound Cards from Clipping Speech
When JAWS or Fusion Begins Speaking
Many modern Bluetooth headphones and speakers as well as some onboard sound
cards shut down when no audio is received in order to conserve battery. JAWS
now includes a new option, which when enabled, keeps these devices awake by
constantly playing silence. You will not hear anything, but your device will
remain active, resulting in more consistent speech. To enable this feature,
open Settings Center (INSERT+6) on the number row, press CTRL+SHIFT+D to
load
the default settings, and search for "Avoid speech cut off when using
Bluetooth headphones or some sound cards."

Note: The battery of your headphones/speakers could drain faster if you
choose to turn on this feature. This option is also not available if the
Audio
Ducking feature is enabled which lowers the audio volume of programs while
JAWS speaks.

Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 6:51 AM

Subject: Sound Card Keep Awake Option

Can anyone tell me where to find this new option please?

I Assume that it is disabled by default?