moderated Re: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

Jim Weiss

Paul,
Actually your battery savings will be minimal.  This is documented by Apple as well on their website.  The main drain for displaying graphics is the GPU and not the actual display.  Turning on screen curtain or screen shade does not shut down the GPU, all of the graphics rendering is still happening, it is just not being displayed.  You will save some battery by enabling it, but according to Apple the average user will not even notice the savings.  I am also a Mac and iPhone user and have screen curtain enabled on both of my devices almost all of the time and my battery lasts about the exact same.  With screen curtain off on my Mac Book I get 8 hours of battery, with it turned on the battery meter still reads 8 hours.  Now that 8 hours also depends on what I am doing, reading email and word processing is much less drain than running a Win 10 VM in VMware Fusion.
The main reason for screen shade/curtain is privacy.
HTH,
Jim
Jim Weiss

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives” | William A. Foster

On Jul 9, 2020, at 3:52 AM, paul lemm via groups.io <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi Ashleigh,

No, its nothing like that at all, the main reason for wanting the display constantly  off is that on a laptop one of the biggest drains on the battery is the display, since I don’t use it anyway it just makes sense to have it turned off to conserve battery life. The iPhone  has a similar function called screen curtain  which you can set to be on all the time, it turns the display off which hugely conserves battery life  on the phone. I really just wanted this function to  make the battery charge last longer when using my laptop, rather than wasting battery life powering a display which I’m not using anyway. Thanks for reaching out though to check I was doing ok, its nice to know people  are watching out  for each other here, but I’m doing absolutely fine, hope you are too. 

Paul 
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: 09 July 2020 07:28
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

I just want to know why you’d want the screen shade to be permanent? I just hope it’s nothing that your searcin for that you don’t want everyone else seeing, like end of life stuff-suicide stuff, I mean. Please e-mail me privately at apiccinino@... to answer this question, okay? 

Ashleigh Piccinino

On Jul 7, 2020, at 9:56 AM, paul lemm via groups.io<paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered Jaws has a screen shade function which turns off the display of  your PC. It seems to be a temporary option however, as every time I restart my PC I have to reenable screen shade. I have tried both the layered key stroke and setting  screen shade through quick settings , but as mentioned both seem to only activate  jaws screen shade until I boot down my laptop. Does anyone know is there a way of setting jaws so screen shade is always on?

Paul Lemm

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.