From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shan Noyes
Sent: 07 July 2020 20:36
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

As a developer and one who has supported users, I can understand why the
screen shade item has been set to have to be turned on. If it was a
permanent setting what would happen is it would end up generating calls.
Because people would have their jaws starting up with the screen shade
enabled, and then say something happened on start up of jaws. The screen
would be blank. And there are a lot of users who would just ask a sighted
person can you see what's happening. Well the answer would be nothing
because the screen would be blank.

So from a support point of view it is better that it isn't an always on
feature.

Have a good day everyone.

From: Mike B [mailto:mb69mach1@...]
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 2:18 PM
Subject: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade Hi Paul, To the best of my
knowledge, no it can't be turned on permanently. For others that are
unfamiliar with this Jaws feature it's explained below.
Note: This feature is only available with Jaws2018 & Newer, running Windows
10. I'm not sure, but possibly Windows 8.1 as well.

Jaws Key + Spacebar followed by F11 or Printscreen both toggle screen
curtain on and off.

The screen shade setting does not appear in the Jaws Settings Center and is
only accessible through the layered keystroke feature or, Jaws quick
settings.

The layered keystroke feature is when you hold down the Insert key then
press down the spacebar, let up on both keys, then press a third key to
perform a particular task.

In this case the layered keystroke to turn the, Screen Shade, On or Off
task is below:

Hold down the Insert key, then press down the spacebar, now let up on
both keys, and tap either the, Print Screen, key, or the, F11 key.

With each press of this keystroke sequence you will hear Jaws report
either, Screen shade on or, Screenn shade off.

Since the Jaws screen shade feature isn't available in the Settings
Center, and can be only accessed by the 2 ways mentioned above, here's the
way to check its current setting through Jaws quick settings:

BTW, whether you're in Explorer or a program, the screen shade setting
is found in the General Options category of Jaws quick settings. So, when,
in or on, most places of your computer press, Insert + V, to open Jaws quick
settings.
Down arrow until you hear Jaws report, General Options, and if Jaws reports
that it's closed right arrow to open.
Now continue down arrowing until you hear Jaws report, Screen Shade,
either checked or unchecked. Pressing the spacebar will toggle this setting
on & off, checked being, On, and unchecked being, Off.

If you make a settings change for this setting or others, then tab to
the, Okay button, press enter to save your settings changes & close quick
settings.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody.