moderated Re: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

Shan Noyes

As a developer and one who has supported users, I can understand why the screen shade item has been set to have to be turned on. If it was a permanent setting what would happen is it would end up generating calls. Because people would have their jaws starting up with the screen shade enabled, and then say something happened on start up of jaws. The screen would be blank. And there are a lot of users who would just ask a sighted person can you see what's happening. Well the answer would be nothing because the screen would be blank.

So from a support point of view it is better that it isn't an always on feature.

Have a good day everyone.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 1:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

-------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING, this email originated from outside of SaskTel.
Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking, perhaps it would be possible to add the appropriate command to the autostart function in the myextensions.jss file and hopefully it will compile successfully. this way, screen curtian will be invoked everytime JAWS is loaded or restarted.

the alternative would be is to turn the monitor off, but a laptop doesn't have a power button or a way to turn it off. although I could be wrong, I don't think so.
-------- Original Message --------
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2020, 2:18 PM
Subject: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade Hi Paul, To the best of my knowledge, no it can't be turned on permanently. For others that are unfamiliar with this Jaws feature it's explained below.
Note: This feature is only available with Jaws2018 & Newer, running Windows 10. I'm not sure, but possibly Windows 8.1 as well.

Jaws Key + Spacebar followed by F11 or Printscreen both toggle screen curtain on and off.

The screen shade setting does not appear in the Jaws Settings Center and is only accessible through the layered keystroke feature or, Jaws quick settings.

The layered keystroke feature is when you hold down the Insert key then press down the spacebar, let up on both keys, then press a third key to perform a particular task.

In this case the layered keystroke to turn the, Screen Shade, On or Off task is below:

Hold down the Insert key, then press down the spacebar, now let up on both keys, and tap either the, Print Screen, key, or the, F11 key.

With each press of this keystroke sequence you will hear Jaws report either, Screen shade on or, Screenn shade off.

Since the Jaws screen shade feature isn't available in the Settings Center, and can be only accessed by the 2 ways mentioned above, here's the way to check its current setting through Jaws quick settings:

BTW, whether you're in Explorer or a program, the screen shade setting is found in the General Options category of Jaws quick settings. So, when, in or on, most places of your computer press, Insert + V, to open Jaws quick settings.
Down arrow until you hear Jaws report, General Options, and if Jaws reports that it's closed right arrow to open.
Now continue down arrowing until you hear Jaws report, Screen Shade, either checked or unchecked. Pressing the spacebar will toggle this setting on & off, checked being, On, and unchecked being, Off.

If you make a settings change for this setting or others, then tab to the, Okay button, press enter to save your settings changes & close quick settings.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
----- Original Message -----
*From:* paul lemm via groups.io <mailto:paul.lemm=sky.com@groups.io>
*To:* jfw@groups.io <mailto:jfw@groups.io>
*Sent:* Tuesday, July 07, 2020 7:56 AM
*Subject:* Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered Jaws has a screen shade function which turns off the display of your PC. It seems to be a temporary option however, as every time I restart my PC I have to reenable screen shade. I have tried both the layered key stroke and setting screen shade through quick settings , but as mentioned both seem to only activate jaws screen shade until I boot down my laptop. Does anyone know is there a way of setting jaws so screen shade is always on?

Paul Lemm

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.