moderated Re: android vs ios.

Leedy Diane Bomar

I have used an Apple phone since 2010, and started out with an iPhone 4. Last summer I purchased a Samsung 10E in order to develop a working knowledge of Android use and test apps for accessibility on that platform.

I have a strong preference for apple phones for the following reasons:

The Apple Accessibility team is available 24/7 via a toll-free number, and can screen share with your phone, and help with access issues primarily with their apps, but, general use, also.

Apple develops the hardware and software, and, therefore, has consistency not available with Android.

Apple stores provide one-on-one classes, group classes, and help from their "genius bar" at all Apple stores.

The fact that the many acccessibility features are part of the operating system, and are available on all Apple products.

One can customize the accessibility of an iPhone, including navigation and voice options easily from within iOS.

The rotor on the iPhone allows for inclusion of various customizable controls.

Apple vets the apps for inclusion in their app store. This makes the apps more secure, preventing embedded hackware and viruses that often are embedded in the Google play store.

I personally like the goals of Apple, and their inclusive development philosophy. As Tim Cook says: "With Google, you are the product" meaning that Google values selling your information.

I do everything with my iPhone, mail, podcasts, playing games, texting, facebook, etc.

If you are a geekly kind of person, enjoying knowing where your files are stored, playing with questionable apps, and a techie that enjoys spending more time learning the various ways to manipulate the phone, vs. a person who wants to actually use the phone as a means to an end, Android would be the choice for you. My background is in software development and engineering, but, I use my phone for the benefits of accessing the world outside the phone, not just to play with the various configurations. I don't care where the files are stored.

Both platforms offer the ability to transfer files from one device to another, (phone to phone, phone to/from PC or MAC)

ICloud offers the ability to use the phone and other Apple devices, seamlessly.

IOS has a great choice of voices to be used with Voiceover and it is easy to change them on the fly, through the rotor.

I can pick up any Apple phone and use it without needing sighted assistance. Texting other Apple users offer benefits not available with SMS.

My Android experience has been frustrating, at best. The virtual keyboard experience has been inconsistent and frustrating. Figuring out which TTS to use, downloading it, installing it, and learning its various quirks and features has been difficult. I admit to being biased because I want to use Android in ways I have learned to use iOS. Use and availability of the various phones, and their versions of the Android operating system vary greatly, and obtaining support or having a quick answer to an accessibility question is more time-consuming and stressful.

Ultimately, I would like to learn how to write code to enhance the accessibility of 3rd party apps. Apple has good and substantial information for devs to include accessibility features in the apps they are developing.

Please feel free to contact me privately if you would like to discuss your questions.
Diane.bomar@...
Or text
512-484-5485.

Of late, I have not been checking my email as often, as I used to, as other priorities have developed, and I am on too many lists, which take a considerable amount of time to read.
HTH, and good luck,

 Diane Bomar

On Jun 27, 2020, at 01:33, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

I use both an Android phone with Talkback and an iPhone with voice over! It was just as hard to learn Voiceover as it was to learn Talkback. Also Android 11, which will come out in the fall, will have a lot of the same multi-finger gestures as Voiceover. Android is better because you can use third party apps instead of using just what Apple will let you use. You can customize your Android phone much more, and what do you know, Ios 14 is adding the app drawer just like android. IOS 14 is taking from Android and Google. What range of phone are you using? please join the ANATAD list. It standds for Android apps news talk and deals.
anatad+subscribe@...
it is a very helpful list with a weekly podcast called the anatad podcast that you can find with any podcast service. You need a good phone, even with Android. Please email me off list. I will give you plenty of tutorials and the truth about both the iPhone and Android.
David Moore

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 2:23 AM Patrick Murphy <murphy.patrick42@...> wrote:

hi folks,

i know that this is not the forum for this question, but maybe one of you good people might have some ideas as to where i should go.

currently, i have an old nokia phone about 300 years of age.

i have decided to take the great leap into the unknown and start using a modern tap screen phone.

i have a samsung android phone with talkback on it, but it is proving to be somewhat of a trouble.

i would say, that it is just because i am new to it, but web sites offering training tips seem to be non existent.

also, the braille keyboard seems to be a bit of a pain. i also dont want to have to attach a keyboard to it, as this defeats the purpose of having a phone you can carry around with you.

on the other hand, i have heard, that apple's voice over is much better.

again, training seems to be the problem. i should be able to get my hands on an ifone.

any thoughts?

anyone prefer one over the other?

cheers,

pat