From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 7:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: jaws and the Braille edge

Press space+v to get the version number.

It should be:

1.1 Build 20170307

I believe that is the last update.

If you don’t have it, I put it on my web  site because HIMS is so completely incompetent that they have never gotten it onto their web site.

I won’t go further into that or I might have to use some explitives.

Below is a link to the zip file directly.

http://www.turner42.com/BrailleEdge40-1.1Build20170307.zip

This latest release for the Braille EDGE 40 contains the following new features and enhancements:

  • Expanded UEB Support,
  • Test Mode (for testing braille cells),
  • Exam Mode,
  • Typing Mode,
  • and enhanced JAWS support.

Expanded UEB Support

The Braille EDGE 40 already supported the use of UEB in the Notepad application. Now UEB can also be used in the Braille EDGE 40 menus and prompts.
1. Go to the Options Menu on the Braille EDGE 40.
2. Scroll to "Braille for Message" or press the letter "G".
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted Braille, UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille. Press "SPACEBAR" to cycle through the options and press "ENTER" to save.
To change the default grade of Braille used in the Notepad:
1. Go to the Options Menu on the Braille EDGE 40.
2. Scroll to "Braille For Notepad Grade" or press the letter N.
3. There are five options: US Uncontracted Braille, US Contracted Braille, UEB Uncontracted Braille, UEB Contracted Braille, and Computer Braille. Press "SPACEBAR" to cycle through the options and press "ENTER" to change.
Test Mode
This feature is useful when testing Braille cells for weak dots.
1. To enter Test Mode, press "SPACE+BACKSPACE+ENTER+T" from anywhere in the Braille EDGE 40 Program Menu.
2. Individual pins will move up and down on the display starting with dot1 in cell 1, moving to DOT2 in CELL1, etc.
3. Press "SPACE" to pause or resume Test Mode.
4. While paused, pressing the cursor router above any cell will cause all pins in that cell to be displayed.
5. Also while paused, press any individual dot or function key on the Braille EDGE 40 and see its corresponding function.
6. Press "SPACE+Z" to exit Test Mode.
Typing Mode
Typing Mode has been available on the Braille Sense for many years. Now this function comes to the Notepad on the Braille EDGE 40. While in Typing Mode, pressing "SPACE" with any character on the keyboard enters that character followed by a space into the document. This mode can keep you from accidentally moving to a different part of the document by pressing"SPACE" plus any characters that are navigation commands. Typing Mode is especially useful for fast typists.
Typing Mode is a toggle. To enable Typing Mode from within a document, press "F4+K". The same key combination will exit Typing Mode.
Enhanced JAWS Support
Function keys on the Braille EDGE 40 should produce the same results as their QWERTY keyboard equivalents: Escape, Tab, Control, Alt, Insert, Shift, Windows and Applications.
Exam Mode
Exam Mode locks the Braille EDGE 40 in terminal mode, so that it may be used as a Braille display for a student using a computer designed to facilitate standardized testing. Exam Mode requires that a password be entered so that the function cannot be exited without entering the same password. The computer must contain a screen reader compatible with HIMS Braille displays for Braille input and output to be possible.
Terminal Mode is the mode in which the notetaker serves as a Braille Terminal (Braille display) for a screen reader. The screen reader outputs the screen information in Braille to the device, and translates keystrokes from the Braille keyboard into text and commands the computer can understand. This Braille access provides a truly accessible testing environment for the student.
We have left specific instructions out of this release note and the Braille EDGE 40 user manual in an attempt to keep it out of the hands of students. Please email HIMS at info@... instructions for using Exam Mode.

If you have any questions, please call HIMS Technical Support at (888) 520-4467 Option 2 or e-mail them at:
support@...

Richard