moderated Re: CD ripping software suggestions?

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Someone was just saying that that program couldn't access the database any longer.
And yes, you should leave the firewall on, I forgot to mention that in my previous reply.

Richard

On Jun 21, 2020, at 8:18 AM, Jacob <dx@...> wrote:

Firewall is turned on by default and it might be a good idea to leave it like that. Add exceptions to the firewall instead of turning it off. I use CDex

https://cdex.mu/download

Only bad thing I can say about CDex is that I can't use the keyboard to deselect the crapware that'll be installed by default. It's programs like Avast, toolbars etc. If you don't have some one around or on remote who can deselect by using the mouse then you can download the portable version that doesn't need installation.

OZ0TE Jacob

Den 2020-06-21 kl. 17:07 skrev fenderwal@...:
        Hi, All.

I don't know if I'm one of only a few who can no longer get Windows Media Player to add media information to CDs I want to rip. Research into how WMP does it and why mine no longer does it has so far failed. Might be that Microsoft no longer supports access to a music database. Anyway, I had started using Gold Wave, which is JAWS compatible. Well.... Gold Wave suddenly quit working about 2 weeks ago, with an error message informing me that my firewall may be blocking Gold Wave.

I turned off Windows Firewall--I don't know how it got turned on in the first place--but Gold Wave still cannot access the music database.

Meanwhile, I have a stack of new CDs I'd like to rip, and I'd like to have the media information rather than Track 1, Track 2, etcetera. Sorry for being long winded. My question is, can you recommend a reliably JFW accessible CD ripper I can use until I figure out what's wrong with Gold Wave? Or, can you direct me to a user group where I can tap into the experience of users who can help me solve my technical difficulty?

Thanks for your time,
Lou N.