moderated Re: From Freedom Scientific: Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

Cristóbal

So… when Apple really started taking accessibility serious and made things like the iPhone and Mac OS more accessible for us, I remember there being a story going around that it had to do with a high level executive having a visually impaired child/relative or something along those lines. The more likely and less warm and fuzzy answer is that they probably wanted some of those sweet government procurement contracts and in order to do so, they could no longer ignore the needs of the disabled.

Does it really matter whether Vispero did it out of the kindness of their corporate hearts or because it was a good PR thing. None of us obviously knows their books, but initially foregoing a three month revenue stream and now extending it can’t be a good thing for their balance sheet. One of my vendors for my interpreting business is the state of California. All in person interpretation appointments for them has stopped since April first due to CoVid. I’ve got other vendors I work with so I’m thankfully fine, but it hasn’t exactly been fun losing that chunk of change either.

I mean really, just take the win.

It sucks that Jaws users outside of the US don’t have this available to them, but I doubt Vispero was like hey… how can we stick it to those in Europe and Asia and wherever? As others have pointed out, it’s most certainly a distribution and rights thing

Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 8:27 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: From Freedom Scientific: Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:09 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

I just would not call it a good deed, as it is self-serving on their part.

The two are not, and need not be, mutually exclusive.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.