moderated Re: From Freedom Scientific: Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

Patrick Murphy

Well said Adrian!!!

I understand, to some degree, that there are various laws and such things in other countries that may cause companies to change their sales models.

However, I do not pretend to understand in great detail.

I am sure, that a good many of you out there, have a much better understanding of this type of thing, as you may have more exposure to it through your businesses etc.

Take for example Netflix. They have different content in different parts of the world. However, this is due to copyright problems.

Freedom scientific owns jaws. There is no copyright issue here that I can see.

How they choose to sell it is their prerogative.

As I understand it, there should be no problem using the same licencing model in the u.s. as anywhere else.

Maybe this is not the case though.

However, the aim of any company is to attract new customers. Given the problems with jaws2020, and there would seem to be a good few, given the various messages on this forum, they should be doing everything they can to attract/keep their customers.

Add to that, the expense of upgrading/buying the product, as I have said before.

Lack of testing also is an issue. We have seen problems with basic windows apps in windows 10.

I have used the example of Netflix before. Huge company, no testing.

Also, I have seen recent posts on this forum about facebook. Again, lack of testing.

Before someone jumps all over me, I realize, that not everything can be tested with jaws.

However, large apps that are out there should be, if you want to sell a quality product.

I also realize, that things such as facebook and Netflix can change their layout, which can lead to accessibility problems.

However, if you are releasing several updates a year, why not keep an eye on the big companies?

Surely, Netflix and facebook for example would love to say that they were completely accessible?

However, that would mean freedom scientific having to work directly with those companies.

They cannot even get it right with windows 10 for god sake.

Personally, I have been in touch with Netflix in Ireland, and was told, that they would love to work with companies in relation to accessibility, but they had received no such offers. Obviously, I cannot say that this is completely true.

Given that freedom scientific are the market leader, there is a lot of wind blowing about from them, but very little substance when it comes to improvement.

In Ireland, I cannot get support directly from them. I have to go through sight and sound in the u.k.

Nine times out of ten, they don’t know what they are looking at in terms of problems.

In fact, when I had the authorization problem with 2020, it was one of you good people that were able to explain it to me.

Sight and sound hadn’t a clue!!!

Freedom scientific really need to look at what they are producing, and where exactly they think their customer base is going to be in the future.

Greed and disregard for your customers will come back to bite you eventually.

To anyone reading this, I am extremely sorry for the ranting!!!

Its just, that I have had enough of this type of thing. I pay a fortune for upgrades, only to suffer from authorization problems, crashes etc, and can get no help other than from you helpful and kindly people.

So much so, that shortly, I will probably abandon jaws in favour of nvda. This is open source, costs nothing, and the suggestions given by its users are actually taken seriously.

Kind regards,

pat

Sen