moderated Re: From Freedom Scientific: Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 03:43 PM, Vaughan Dodd wrote:

A lot of companies have to deal with vendors in other countries rather than selling directly to individuals.

I don’t pretend to understand the ins and outs of international sales, so I should shut up now.

You understand the basics quite well.   And the contractual obligations with said international vendors may expressly forbid any offering of free service since they make their livings off of being second-party sellers of same.

Any sentient adult knows that interstate, let alone international, commerce is a complicated matter.

And, again, Vispero is not obligated to give anything away to anyone.  It's entirely up to them whether they do and to whom such offers apply.  That's how things work in capitalist enterprises.  They're not a charity.  (And this is coming from someone who thinks the amount that continues to be charged for JAWS is pretty extreme).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss