moderated Re: From Freedom Scientific: Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

Patrick,

Such offers exist in some countries and not others all the time. I remember a time when here in Canada you had barely any access to online music streaming services such as Spotify or TV streaming services such as Netflix. They were all available in the US but not Canada just because they had not yet set it up and dealt with all the legalities involved. The same applied to Amazon, a Canadian version of Audible has only been around for 2 or so years and to this day there is no option in Canada to set up a family account where I can add, for example, my wife as a family member so she can use her Amazon account but take advantage of the Prime subscription I have. You could just as well call that discrimination, but I see little point in that because I'm sure sooner or later Amazon will have that option available.

The subscription model of Jaws is to my knowledge only available in the US right now because in other countries Jaws licenses are handled by Vispero partners and distributors so there is probably a little more involved in setting this up in every single market where Jaws is available than you think. I have a feeling Jaws would probably like everybody to be on this model whether it's free for a while as it is now or not.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Murphy
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 12:59 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: From Freedom Scientific: Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

Why that’s just great!!!

Why not make the rest of us unequal to those in the u.s. by not allowing anyone in Ireland for example, take advantage of the same thing.

This, to me, is discrimination.

Thanks for nothing!!!

pat

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Goldfield
Sent: Wednesday 17 June 2020 02:54
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: From Freedom Scientific: Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

Freedom Scientific is extending the Free Home-Use Software Until August 31, 2020.

Extended Free Home-Use Software For Those Affected by COVID-19

First and foremost, we hope that you and your family are safe and well.

Thank you for taking advantage of the free home access of JAWS, Fusion and ZoomText. Our goal is simply to help you remain accessible as you work and study remotely. Due to Covid-19, and the impact to our customers, during Summer Schools sessions especially, we have decided to extend the expiration date on the Free June 30th software licenses to August 31, 2020. Your license will automatically be extended so there is nothing extra for you to do.

As many people have requested to continue using the product past the August 31st expiration, we are offering a 20% discount to anyone in the United States to extend their Home Annual License if you purchase your renewal before July 31st. All you need to do to take advantage of this offer is to go into the software portal prior to July 31st and choose the Renewal Option and select 1, 3, or 5 years for the Home Annual license of that product and the renewal time will begin after the August 31st date.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.