moderated Re: in win10 in a folder how do you tell Win10 to delete only all the files that have a same particular extension but not the other files in that folder that have different extensions?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 11:32 PM, Bill White wrote:
I opened the folder Documents
Well, it also depends on how you have search itself configured.  It is important to make sure that your default is "Current Folder" rather than All Subfolders, or to switch to only search in Current Folder rather than All Subfolders.

The current default behavior is "All Subfolders."   I am having a huge problem figuring out how to either reconfigure this permanently or even to get the search to limit itself only to "Current Folder" with keyboard shortcuts.   I can get to "Current Folder" via ALT+JS,F after having run the search, but it doesn't change the results.  I can only get the results to change sometimes via "point and click" application of that ribbon control item, too.

This used to be a simple matter to reset default search behavior, as this question from 2017 on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-explorer-search-default-current-folder/fbd72e0c-880e-453d-9e85-9228767fa9de notes:
--

hey folks,

is there a way to set the default preference for the explorer search from "all subfolders" to "current folder"?

In Win7 there was an option in the "folder and search options" and in Win8 there was a RegKey "SearchSubFolders" under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Search\Preferences.

In Win10 the option is not available and the RegKey has no effect.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Philipp
--

I'll keep looking, but so far getting a consistent "Current Folder" only result is just not happening at the moment, and I've always been able to get that to work before (and usually set that as my default, as it's the exception where I want all subfolders searched).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss