moderated Re: Accesible Twitter Applications

sardar shankar

thanks for those tips. I'll surely try those.

On 6/4/20, Orlando Enrique Fiol via groups.io
<ofiol=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Dear Sardar-ji,

I used TWBlue for months before finding some solutions to the very
problems you list below.

>playing videos from a tweet,

I have never gotten this to work from within TWBlue. But I can always
just press enter on a tweet's URL, which will launch my default web
browser and play the video just fine.

>viewing threads

This is very counterintuitive, but feasible. TWBlue calls threads
"conversations". To view a conversation, press alt+windows+C. Here's
the most counterintuitive part; you will not find the conversation in
the same window as the original tweet; you'll find it under searches.
TWBlue will report: "Conversation with so-and-so". Tab over to the
list view and, if there are replies to the original tweet, they will
be there in chronological order. If there are no replies, only the
original tweet will be in that conversation. Once you've read it, you
can destroy the buffer with the hotkey control+shift+I.
I use the conversation hotkey in conjunction with the previous and
next buffer hotkeys: alt+windows+left (or right) arrows. This way, if
I am in the home buffer and press alt+windows+C for the conversation,
I need only navigate to the previous buffer with
alt+windows+left-arrow because search results are displayed to the
left of home. However, if I'm deep in a timeline tree and want to
access conversations, it's easier to press end while in the tree
view, which focuses the "searches" node. Expand that with right-arrow
and I can find all searches and conversations there.

Realistically, I try to structure my Twitter usage so that I'm always
reading either my home buffer or a timeline just to the left of the
search results. This way, the conversations are always one buffer to
the left or right of the buffer I'm reading.
That may all sound hopelessly complicated. But once you get the hang
of those hotkeys, you can navigate between tweet and conversation
buffers quite quickly. As you know, riyaaz (practice) is everything.

>viewing replies to a tweet,

See above. The conversations buffer handles replies. You can even
check if there are replies to replies, and so on. It would be ideal
if TWBlue reported this information, so that we wouldn't have to
invoke and delete what amount to empty conversations.

>not so useful autocomplition for tags and users, no way to view
>notifications etc. please correct me if i'm wrong in any of these!

To receive notifications in TWBlue, you must set each buffer to
autoread new tweets, using the hotkey alt+windows+E. This must be
done for each buffer you want automatically read when new tweets
arrive, even for timelines. Once you set autoreading for the default
buffers, they will remain that way until you change them.
But when you add timelines or lists, you must enable autoreading with
that hotkey for each.
The important thing is to listen carefully to the tweeter's name or
the buffer name during the autoreading, since there's no place in
TWBlue where all notifications are collected.
If you hear, "New direct message from Pandit Pranaath," you must go
to your direct messages buffer to read it.
If you hear, "New tweet in Sonia Gandhi's timeline," you must find
her timeline, either using the tree view or previous&next buffer
hotkeys, in order to read it.

Here is one more detail that I have found very useful. Whenever you
view your friends, followers or tweeter's timelines, TWBlue shows you
the first 200 in reverse chronological order--thatis--going back 200
from the most recent. Do not confuse this with reverse buffer
display, which puts the most recent tweets at the top of the buffer
list. Here, new tweets are still at the bottom, but the buffer list
only goes back 200 tweets. To go back further, you must use the
hotkey alt+windows+page-up. You will hear TWBlue say, (200 items
retrieved". In the case of search results, the same principle
applies, except that when you search for users, you are only shown 20
results at a time. So, when you load previous items into your buffer,
you will hear, "20 items retrieved". If you want everything, you must
keep retrieving items further back until there are no more and TWBlue
reports 0 items retrieved. Only then can you be sure that you are
reading your complete buffer.
I point this out because, when I first got on Twitter, I began
following all sorts of people about whom I was curious. Needless to
say, I quickly reached 5000 followers and began receiving errors that
I could not follow anymore users. So, I fst tried using TWBlue to go
through my following list, but only found 200 entries. On Twitter's
web interface, the list would not refresh properly and would give me
duplicate entries. I even tried out two Android apps dedicating to
unfollowing twitter accounts. They worked okay, but I still wish I
could accomplish this seemingly simple task within TWBlue.
Once this blind guy on Teamtalk told me about the hotkey to load
previous items into the buffer, I was all set; I could see all my
following and friends lists without using other apps. The thing is, I
had gone past that hotkey dozens of times in TWBlue's hotkey editor.
I thought it meant that it would move you up and down in the buffer
by a large amount. I never thought it actually retrieves and loads
previous tweets.

I hope these tips will enrich your TWBlue experience as much as they
have enriched mine.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer
and Pedagogue
Charlotte, North Carolina