moderated Re: Malware Program

Mike B

Brian,

You or someone else that can see and uses a screenreading program might be the perfect people to explain accessibility issues.  Someone that doesn't have enough vision to see what's on the screen can't compare what they hear to what's actually there on the screen.  I am by no means trying to excuse my self from reporting personal navigation issues, but when trying to explain to people that could be possibly using a translation programs to read an English speakers email or, English is a 2nd or 3rd language to them, a lot can be lost in the explanation.  my experience will be reported, but I need to reinstall Zemana and make notes of both keyboard navigation & mouse simulation keystrokes performed and what Jaws reports with these commands.  What really helps if someone of the program tech support staff installs a screenreading program to get a taste of what's happening.

While I was working with MWB and0Patch, both installed screenreading programs to try to get a feel for what the blind person experiences, and it really helped a lot with them understanding what I was trying to convey to them!  Okay folks, attack!  LOL  LOL 

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: Malware Program

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:51 AM, Mike B wrote:
I totally understand that many things are done without knowing and programs such as Zemana won't know how to deal with screenreader users unless they are informed by the screenreader users themselves.
Please, for the love of all that's decent and pure, repeat this, inserting the correct company, as often as necessary!!

As the really odd-man out on groups such as this one, being that I can see, I know that when I say this sort of thing, and with the best of motivations (having been a developer once and knowing you can't and won't address things never brought to your attention, by anyone), that it comes across as being preached at, or at least can.  That doesn't change the fact that is absolutely, positively true.

And I will never be able to describe the problems encountered, even were I to try, in a way that accurately depicts what an actual screen-reader user experiences.  It's a divide I know I can't cross.

Your community needs more advocates such as yourself because, believe me (and as you certainly well know), most of the sighted world doesn't give computer accessibility a second thought.  It's not something they need, and we all tend to focus on our own needs to a very great extent.  And if you're in any sort of minority, you're going to have to constantly push to have those needs acknowledged and acted upon.  And you'll often hit walls, but you simply cannot stop because of that.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.