moderated Re: Jaws And Open Book

Marty Hutchings

It is my main printer that is used to print from Word.  It is a HP PhotoSmart 4200 printer/scanner.

If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: Jaws And Open Book

Hi Marty,

To be honest I've never run into this issue you've encountered.  Is your printer scanner set as the default?

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 1:32 PM

Mike, this is the message that I get.
“OCR failed to start.  No supported scanners or cameras available.”
There is no list to arrow through.
Thanks.
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 8:24 AM

So, when you invoke the, Insert + spacebar, then press the letter, O , then pressing the letter, A , your HP scanner isn't in the scanner and camera list?  What does show in the list of options?  Have you tried using left & right arrow keys as well as the up and down arrow keys?

*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 10:06 PM

Mike,  Thanks for this.  I was not aware that this was possible.  When I tried to acquire a document, I got a message saying that there were no scanners or cameras available.  I have a HP Photo Smart all in 1 printer/scanner connected.  How do I get JAWS to recognize it?
Thanks.
Marty

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 11:44 PM

Hi Pastor Gil,

Here's another option to use for scanning files.  I more often than not get better scans scanning this way.

How to scan files using a scanning device with the Jaws OCR feature.  Steps are below.  This will only work with JAWS2018 and newer.

1. Place whatever you want scanned with the OCR feature on your scanner.

2. Press the JAWS Key + Spacebar, then, O, for OCR, and press, A , for acquire.

3. Choose the scanner from the, Scanner & Camera combobox pop-up, tab to the, Acquire button, press the spacebar, and the scanner will scan the file using
the Jaws OCR feature.  It will then read it to you.  This is GREAT!
Note:  The shortcut keystroke to acquire is, Alt + Q.

To save the file you can export it to Excel or, after scanning select all the text with, Control + A, press, Control + C, to copy to the clipboard, then
paste the text, Control + V, into a text or Word
file and save.

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 4:27 PM
Subject: Jaws And Open Book

I bought my Openbook program and really like it.

Pastor Gil

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.