moderated Re: Windows Live Mail Stopped Working in Windows 10 2004 20H1

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 12:53 PM, Marie wrote:
I had to do that [turn on Google less secure apps setting] when I set up an account on Outlook but not on WLM. So not sure where your info comes from.
The information about WLM being a less secure app is both accurate and indisputable.  If you didn't get it when setting it up it can only be because Google less secure apps access was already turned on or else you have 2-step verification and an app specific password for WLM being used.  Otherwise access is blocked, and I can say that with certainty having played with configuring an account right after my post earlier this morning.

One cannot just say "Outlook" when talking about security.  It matters what version.  I believe it became compliant with more secure apps protocol at Outlook 2013, though it may have been Outlook 2016.  I know that Outlook 2010 was not more secure app compliant, as I used it for years prior to upgrading to Office 2016, which included Outlook 2016.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss