moderated Re: how is jaws2020 better when using google chrome?

Patrick, are you using Jaws 18 or Jaws 2018, they are not the same, Jaws 2018 is a year newer than Jaws 18 and as far as I know there are more and more problematic areas with Jaws 18 and the latest version of Windows which is about to get rolled out. Also keep in mind that your issues are not everybody’s issues and probably not even problems a lot of people experience. I understand how frustrating it is when you run into problems nobody else or almost nobody else seems to have, but these situations do exist where a combination of your hardware and how everything is configured causes strange issues which are hard to fix and even harder to reproduce. In such a case and when all else fails a clean reinstallation of Wibndows may be the only way forward although I am not somebody who suggests this solution lightly. I currently experience strange slow-downs on my laptop at home, granted it’s over 3 years old, but it’s also a high-end machine with a six generation I7 processor, 16Gb of RAM and a 512Gb SSD. I find Outlook, Edge and Google Chrome as well as certain File Explorer tasks to be quite slow especially when compared to my work PC. I have been using the upcoming Windows 10 version via the Windows Insider program for a few months now because I am also a Jaws beta tester and feel I should try and use upcoming Windows versions so I can test new features and provide feedback accordingly, but as soon as the 2004 version is officially out and I can get the Media Creation Tool for it, I plan to wipe this laptop clean and reinstall Windows from scratch, then Jaws 2020, Office and any other applications I use and I know this will improve things since I have done it with other PC’s many times.

If somebody is 3 or 4 years behind with Jaws it will always be my recommendation to upgrade especially since sooner rather than later it is probably necessary. Yes, I know there are people out there who still use computers which are 8 or 10 years old with the now unsupported Windows 7 with Jaws 16 or 17 and programs like Outlook Express which have also been discontinued and are in my opinion super unsecure to use, but this is not my philosophy.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Murphy
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 12:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: how is jaws2020 better when using google chrome?

Hi Hank,

I am still using jaws 18 with windows 10 latest release. I did install a trial version of jaws 2020, but there was no difference.

There was a difference however, between jaws 2018 and 2020 when using the Microsoft edge version of chrome.

If you like google chrome, and your jaws 2018, try a browser called brave.

It is chrome based, but has a much lighter footprint on your computer and will work with windows 7 and 10.

pat

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday 26 May 2020 06:38

I didn’t see any other replies, but for many of us Jaws 18 was so long ago, I for one don’t remember how it was different.

I assume you are still on Windows 7? Upgrading to the latest version of Jaws is also going to be more and more necessary if you want to run the latest release of Windows 10 which is coming up in the next few weeks.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hank William Merchant
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 12:18 PM

Hello,

I am currently using jaws18, before I go and buy jaws2020, can someone maybe please give me just a couple of examples of how google Chrome works alot better with Jaws2020 versus the older version Jaws18?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks in advance for any help with this.

Warmest regards,

Hank

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.