Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: advanced users: Multiple cursors

Mark,

I’m still getting my head around using the JAWS cursor, as it doesn’t work like what I was  used to with Window Eyes.  As far as routing the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor, there are a couple of reasons I have found to need to do this.

  • I might be on a page and need to click something with the mouse.  I’ll hit the key to route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor. It’s not always perfect in doing this on web pages, but is generally accurate in editable documents.
  • I’ve also been advised to use this in dialog boxes that aread reading fully or where I need to read the contents line by line or character by character.  If a dialog opens, I may route the JAWS cursor, then hit insert R to restrict the boundaries for where the JAWS cursor can move, then arrow up and down to read the contents of the box with the JAWS cursor.
  • If I want to read an email address in Outlook character by character, I might route the JAWS cursor to it, then use the left and right arrow keys to read letter by letter.

One tip I’ve appreciated is to change the voice used for JAWS cursor so that you are clear as to which cursor you are using.  I have a male voice for my PC cursor, and a female voice for when I enable the JAWS cursor.