moderated Re: advanced users: Multiple cursors

Van Lant, Robin

Mark,

I’m still getting my head around using the JAWS cursor, as it doesn’t work like what I was  used to with Window Eyes.  As far as routing the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor, there are a couple of reasons I have found to need to do this.

• I might be on a page and need to click something with the mouse.  I’ll hit the key to route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor. It’s not always perfect in doing this on web pages, but is generally accurate in editable documents. 
  • I’ve also been advised to use this in dialog boxes that aread reading fully or where I need to read the contents line by line or character by character.  If a dialog opens, I may route the JAWS cursor, then hit insert R to restrict the boundaries for where the JAWS cursor can move, then arrow up and down to read the contents of the box with the JAWS cursor.
  • If I want to read an email address in Outlook character by character, I might route the JAWS cursor to it, then use the left and right arrow keys to read letter by letter. 

One tip I’ve appreciated is to change the voice used for JAWS cursor so that you are clear as to which cursor you are using.  I have a male voice for my PC cursor, and a female voice for when I enable the JAWS cursor. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:13 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: advanced users: Multiple cursors

I sometimes wonder if all the cursors and system focus in JAWS can be moved to separate spots on the page, as if you had one hand feeling the top of the wall and the other hand feeling a lower part of the wall, each hand gathering information from different places. For example, I noticed you can route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor. But I don't think I have a firm understanding of that. Can intermediate or advanced JAWS users say something about that?

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.