moderated How to remove the check boxes that proceed my file names

Jim Weiss

All,’I just bought a new laptop and all of my file names in file explorer and the icons on the desktop have a check box that proceed them.  I remember changing this setting a long time ago, but for the life of me I can’t find it.  I seem to remember making this change inside of file explorer, but can’t remember where.  Also, what is the purpose for the check boxes?
Thank you in advance,
Jim
P.S.  I apologize if this is a very basic question, but I am a Mac user just getting back into the Windows pool and to say the least I am still in the kiddie pool.
Jim Weiss

“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark; than alone in the light.” | Helen Keller