From: "Bill White" <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 7:26 PM
Subject: Is first-letter navigation in Start Menu a JAWS feature

I have a question. Is first-letter navigation within the start menu a JAWS
feature or a Windows XP feature? In other words, if a person who is not
using speech clicks on the start menu, can they use the letters to highlight
the program or option they wish to access?

The reason I am asking is that I noticed something interesting. I use the
program Spybot - Search & Destroy. It automatically created a start menu
entry for me with that name. But I couldn't navigate to it using s or any
other letter or symbol within the name.

What I discovered is that the & symbol was preventing first-letter
navigation. When I renamed the start menu option Spybot - Search and
Destroy, using the word and instead of the ampersand symbol, first-letter
navigation was again possible.

Is this a JAWS bug or a Windows situation?

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

database 6900 (20120220) __________

http://www.eset.com