From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com
[mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:21 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: [Bulk] Tip for frequently visited web pages

The command to bring up the placemarker dialog is control+shift+k. to
locate the placemarker after it has been created, just press k.

Recent versions of JAWS have made this feature especially helpful with
the "anchor to text" option.

You begin by placing focus on the item you wish to mark. In my
experience, the placemarker stays constant only if I set it on a link.

When you bring up the placemarker dialogue, JAWS places you in a field
that is rarely helpful. Tab once to "Add" and press the spacebar. From
here, you tab through a few choices. For example, one asks if you wish
the placemarker to be anchored to the text where you have placed focus.
Press spacebar to accept.

A less obvious decision must be made for the query whether you want the
placemarker to apply throughout the domain, or website. An example where
this is desirable is the "print" link found in many newspaper websites.
When I land on an article in a newspaper I visit regularly, I
immediately press the letter k to locate the print link, where I have a
placemarker that I've set to apply on every page in the website.

But making the placemarker apply throughout the domain isn't always
desirable. If you have more than two or three placemarkers on a page,
adding a gratuitous placemarker can defeat the purpose. For example, on
one website I regularly visit, there's a particular page from which I
like to link back to my accounts page. I set a placemarker for that
accounts link.
However, there's an accounts link on every page in that website, and I
don't use that link on other pages. So in this case, I ignored the
global domain option.

Be sure to tab to the Okay button before closing the placemarker dialog.