From: "Bill White" <billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 10:26 PM
Subject: Is first-letter navigation in Start Menu a JAWS feature

I have a question. Is first-letter navigation within the start menu a JAWS feature or a Windows XP feature? In other words, if a person who is not using speech clicks on the start menu, can they use the letters to highlight the program or option they wish to access?

The reason I am asking is that I noticed something interesting. I use the program Spybot - Search & Destroy. It automatically created a start menu entry for me with that name. But I couldn't navigate to it using s or any other letter or symbol within the name.

What I discovered is that the & symbol was preventing first-letter navigation. When I renamed the start menu option Spybot - Search and Destroy, using the word and instead of the ampersand symbol, first-letter navigation was again possible.

Is this a JAWS bug or a Windows situation?

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6900 (20120220) __________

http://www.eset.com