moderated Re: sharing phonemic dictionary for eloquence

John Covici

How is this file created, might be nice to modify or use with another
synth.

On Sat, 09 May 2020 18:31:37 -0400,
Leo wrote:

    Hello my fellow jaws users:

As some of you may remember, I’ve been asking for weeks how to improve
the pronunciation of jaws. Particularly, I wanted to do it for eloquence
because it’s the synth the I mostly use on a daily basis, and taking
into account that I’m not a native English speaker, it was totally
inconvenient for me to continue to listen mispronounced words.

Now I bring you a dictionary for eloquence that solves many
pronunciation issues when using American English voices. It is not
remotely similar to the user’s dictionary, which I think it’s OK for
some instances, but for most cases inadequate.

The master mind behind this phonemic dictionary is Amir Soleimani, who
started building this dictionary many years ago for other software.

This phonemic dictionary contains more than twenty-two thousand entries,
and Amir regularly introduces changes and

New words.

Here are some words in which you can easily perceive a significant
difference before and after adding the dictionary, so pay close
attention now, and when you have finished the process, returned up to
this point and listen again!

hermaphroditus

cyberphobia

semitone

kurzweil

insincere

and one of my favorites,

voila!

Let’s cut to the chase!

A couple of notes before the steps:

If you are using the eloquence synth, switch to another synth.

The dictionary file is attached to this E-mail, all you have to do is to
download the compressed file and unzip it.

1.Assuming you have a 64 bit machine, go to the following folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Freedom Scientific\Shared\Eloquence\6.1.Copy the
file called “ELOQMAIN.DCT,” and paste it in a safe location, in other
words, back it up.

2.Copy the file that was left after unzipping, which has the same name
of the file that you just put in a safe location, and paste it in the
folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Freedom Scientific\Shared\Eloquence\6.1.
If windows asks for confirmation, go ahead and replace the existing file.

You’re all set!

Relaunch jaws, switch to eloquence, and try out the pronunciation of the
words above.

In a 32 bit machine, the process should be similar except for the name
of the folder program files, but I don’t own a 32 bit machine.

Notice that all we did was to replace the existing file; however, the
new file already contains all the entries.

Notice that this is not the jaws user’s dictionary (.JDF file) so, it
shouldn’t conflict with it, but in any case, that’s why you must make a
backup of that file.

--
Best,
Leo