Re: What are 32 and 64 bit?, was Is jaws the same on 32 and 64 bit?

Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@...>

Joseph, just to correct you, windows 32 bit can only use up to 3 in
some cases 3.2 or 3.5 GB of RAM and not 7 GB as you said.

That icon means you're running 64-bit version of Windows.
The discussion of 32-bst versus 64-bit can be summarized in two
senses: memory capacity and data. In most discussions, 64-bit
refers to mostly using more memory than 32-bit computers. For
instance, a 32-bit processor can handle up to about 7 GB of
memory (slightly less than that), whereas 64-bit can handle more.
In terms of data, its just the way numbers and other things are
presented to a computer for processing.
In our discussion, it relates to memory capacity and kinds of
programs Windows can handle:
* 32-bit Windows can run under 32-bst processor but not under
64-bit CPU's. This includes modgy CPU's such as Intel Core I
series (I3, I5, I7) and others which can run in either 32-bit or
64-bit mode. Also, 32-bit Windows can run 32-bit programs and
16-bit programs.
* 64-bit Windows will work on 64-bit CPU's such as newer Intel
chips and AMD ones. It can also run 64-bit applications and
32-bit programs with a limitation that things that require deeper
hardware access (like screen readers such as JAWS) requires
64-bit version to be present.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph