moderated Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Yes I did it all on all with no help at all

When you install the product and the backblaze dialoge box opens the only thing I noticed is on the windows pc you need to read the box with the jaws curser to get all the info and you can even click in jaws mode.

But it is all automatic and very easy to use.

Any questions contact me off list.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: May 7, 2020 6:38
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

By works great, do you mean  it does not require sighted assistance?

Richard

"There's a nap for that." - an anonymous cat in a window in Portland, Oregon.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of george b
Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2020 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

I use backblaze on 1 windows pc, and 2 macs and it works great

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: May 6, 2020 23:20

I have never tried any of the cloud based backup software.  Lets see if anyone else has any suggestions.

Regards,

James B 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Williams
Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2020 1:06 AM

How about back blaze.

Can that be used?

Thanks,

Justin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Bentley
Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2020 1:43 AM

There are blind people on these list that I trust.  Some use Image for Windows backup software which isn’t free but it will let you create a restore/recovery  disk that has the screen reader Narrator that you can use to recover your PC if Windows isn’t working at all.

Some use Macrium Reflect which is free.  But it does require eye sight to recover  your PC if Windows isn’t working.  Maybe it is possible to use a talking Windows PE with Macrium Reflect to recover without vision.  I’m just not sure.  But, If you have access to eye sight, recovery isn’t suppose to be very difficult.

Others just clone their drive with Casper.  I am not familiar with that process

But, with IFW and MR, it is necessary to boot up off of a restore/recovery disk to restore the drive.  That means two things for the blind user.

First, You have to be able to boot your PC with the recovery DVD or thumb drive.  And, Changing your PC so it will boot up from something other than its primary drive requires sighted help.  That means changing the boot sequence in BIOS or, using the correct function key to temporarily change the boot up sequence.

Second, Once you are booted in to a recovery environment you will again need sighted help to restore your PC if this recovery environment has no speech .

There are others here who have more experience with backup and cloning software.  But, I can tell you that it is critical to have backups of your important data.

Cheers,

James B

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arkadiusz Swietnicki
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 11:24 PM

Wow, interesting that I have never heard of this software. One never stops learning.

Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 10:14 PM

I think it is what ever you get accustomed to using.  Image for Windows did cost me around $40, but it has always worked to restore my hard drives.

You can use IFW to create a recovery disk that includes Narrator so you have a screen reader to use to restore your PC.  That is an absolute necessity if Windows is so messed up that your PC won’t boot up in to Windows.

Since this recovery disk has to be bootable for disaster recovery, you would need to change your PC’s boot sequence in the BIOS.  That requires eye sight but it is a one time change.

In my case, instead of getting someone to change my boot sequence in the BIOS, I use F11 and some additional key strokes to force Windows to boot up from the boot media which can be either a DVD or a thumb drive again, created with the IFW software.

Its been so long since I created the boot media that I do not have clear recollection as to how it was accomplished.  The directions are in the IFW manual.  I suspect that there are several members on these list who can provide you with the directions to create the boot media and provide directions on how to get a crippled PC to boot from the media if you do not want to get someone to change your boot sequence in your PC’s BIOS.

The best of luck,

James B 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arkadiusz Swietnicki
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:29 PM

Is that image for Windows a good solution? I am also searching for a good backup software.

Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 8:51 PM

Greetings,

I’m guessing that there is a typo in your response.

What do I need to run to tell when check boxes are checked?

And, in my Version of Image for Windows, something like V3... there is a check box in settings that is called accessible check boxes.  You can check this to cause Jaws to see the state of the check boxes.

But, You will still have to use the Jaws/or equivalent cursor to tell that they are checked in some places in the menus.  Also, in some places in the menus, you will see a PLUS SIGN instead of a checkbox for example, to indicate that a drive has been selected to be added to the back up process.

In my particular case, on all 3 of my laptops, I just hit the space bar to put a PLUS SIGN in front of my primary drive/C drive to do a full back up.  IFW has never let me down with Windows 7 or Windows 10 and I have done recoveries on all 3.

Regards,

James B

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of george b
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 12:30 PM

Runjcortona Microsoft speech and they will read

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of René H. Nielsen
Sent: May 6, 2020 10:29

Hi!

I use Image for Windows, but do you know how to make the checkboxes accessible? It is something in an ini-file.

Best regards René H. Nielsen

Fra: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> På vegne af Steve Matzura
Sendt: 3. maj 2020 19:15
Til: main@jfw.groups.io
Emne: Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

Terabyte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite is 100% accessible beginning to end, including the recovery disk. There's an option to set in an INI file when building the recovery disk that will automatically start Narrator when said disk is booted. Works a treat, as they say. Best fifty bucks you'll ever spend on your computer. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

On 5/3/2020 12:57 PM, David Griffith wrote:

I use a solution which is I suppose is 3/4 accessible. Snapshot will allow a fully accessible disc image backup. Provided you can get into Windows at all the restore of the image is also a fully accessible. You simply select the image you want to restore to and Snapshot will simply restart your computer and about 20 minutes later you will hear your screen reader announce your Windows login for the restored image. I have done this several times with success without sighted help. Where it falls down is if your system is in such a state it cannot boot into Windows. The developers provide an ISO file to create a bootable CD drive but of course there is no speech here on that disc. They did tell me what I needed to type once the CD loaded to restore windows but in practice in these situations I have always resorted to sighted help and a fresh windows install.

David Griffith

On 3 May 2020, at 17:44, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> wrote:

Tom,

If you boot to Win PE, you can use 7Zip to zip up your HD and unzip it if you need to at a later time.

Also, when you do this, you can delete two system files that are temp files, and will save you the amount of twice your RAM.

So if you have 4GB of RAM, you can save 8GB by deleting pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys before zipping up your HD, and windows will recreate those two files on boot-up.

They are just temp files Windows uses as virtual memory.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 11:31 AM

Subject: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

Hello.

I know this has been addressed before, but could someone suggest an accessible system backup image program that is easy to use independently, and that works well with Jaws?

I routinely back up all my files, but would like to be able to back up my complete hard drive if possible.

Until now, I’ve always understood that these backup image programs have accessibility issues at certain points, but perhaps I’m wrong.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 08:26 AM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Too obvious to be a mere coincidence...

If you have had this occur, twice, you should be looking at something being wrong with your hardware.

Application software has never, in my decades of experience, corrupted any OS (and I don't count viruses or malware as "application software.")

You are, however, giving people very good advice with regard to having a backup protocol and taking full system image backups on a routine cycle.  The number of things that have the potential to cause a system to crash are numerous, and generally related to people screwing around with the OS itself in ways they shouldn't or drive failure.  Having a backup saves you untold time and grief.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.