Re: What are 32 and 64 bit?, was Is jaws the same on 32 and 64 bit?

Soronel Haetir

If you are running any software that is labelled as being 64 bit then
your computer is a 64 bit system. 64 bit systems can still run 32
bit programs but 32 bit systems can not run 64 bit programs.

For awhile many computer makers were shipping 64 bit hardware with 32
bit operating systems, in which case nearly all of the extra
functionality the hardware offered was wasted. Thankfully that
practice seems to be going to the wayside.

On 2/20/12, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@aol.com> wrote:
Back in November my computer went toes up and I had to buy another one.
Before that I do not recall discussion of 32 versus 64 bit on these
technical support lists. For one thing that means that I bought a
computer without knowing whether it was 32 or 64 bit and without knowing
that there was such a thing. Since November the question of 32 versus 64
bit this and that have been an extremely frequent subject. The icon I
use to open my browser is labeled Internet Explorer 9 64 bit. Does this
mean that my computer is 64 bit or does that only refer to the browser.
If it is the latter then how do I find out how many bits my computer is?
Then, what does this 32 and 64 bit stuff mean anyway and what difference
does it make to me whether my computer or something on my computer is
one or the other anyway?

On 2/20/2012 12:18 PM, Nickus de Vos wrote:
Hi all
I'm currently running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, office 2010 and jaws
13. I want to go over to a 64 bit system but just want to find out if
there's anything in jaws which doesn't work or which acts differently?
In theory it should work exactly the same but you never know and I
don't want any nasty surprises.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com