moderated Re: Word 365 Font, Line Spacing & Margins

Van Lant, Robin

Mike,

Thank you for correcting me.   Office 365 also says “Don’t add space between paragraphs of the same style check box”  Interesting, mine is currently unchecked, but I can see well enough to see that it’s not putting the extra space in. Anyway, probably safest to check the box or  you could end up with way more space between paragraphs than you were expecting.

Robin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 11:34 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Word 365 Font, Line Spacing & Margins

Hi Robin,

In your last step it says;

Tab to the checkbox that asks if you want space between each paragraph of the same type.  Uncheck this box. 

In Word 2010 it says;

Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style, checkbox checked.

I left mine checked since it sounds like the wording has changed between Word 2010 and Word 365.

I'm only mentioning this in case others  might get confused by the difference in the wording.  Thanks again.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2020 8:09 AM

Others are sharing tips that all do play into lines per page.  The biggest difference starting in Word 2010 and later Word is that Microsoft decided to make the default now include some extra visual spacing between each line that is not controlled by your typical single, double or 1.5 line spacing.  We blind folks would have no way of knowing this has changed except for seeing that less content fits on a page and/or that one setting is different.   If she is using the same font as in the past, I’ll bet that the real kicker for her is this new formatting, which is controlled in the paragraph settings.   As someone noted, what she wants is the following:   Here is how to fix it in the default.

Go into a document.  If she needs to fix a current document, press Control A to select all in the document.  Press the application key to open the context menu and arrow down to paragraph. 

A dialog box will open. 

Tab through till you hear the settings for “Before” and also “After”.  In both of these edit boxes, type 0. 

Tab to the line spacing combo box and be sure it is set to Single. 

Then tab to the checkbox that asks if you want space between each paragraph of the same type.  Uncheck this box. 

Tab to the button to “Set as default” and click it.

Then tab to OK and hit that. 

The same steps can be done in an empty document to set this to the default for your copy of Word. 

Robin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 7:30 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

My recommendation is to open a blank document.

Press the applications key or shift+f10, and then the letter f for fonts.

Pick the font she wants, tab to regular, then tab to size and if she wants 46 lines, 12 point will give her that with most fonts. Then either shift tab a bunch or continue tabbing a bunch to set as default and hit space bar, then a dialog comes up that is defaulting to this document only, tab twice to the radio button and arrow down once to for all documents based on the normal template and hit enter.

She may need another enter on OK to get it to stick.

For the Margins, press Alt+p which puts you on the Layout tab, arrow down once and Margin is the first item.  Hit space on that and then she can either do a custom or arrow through and find 1 inch margins. And select that.

One more thing I would do that probably means she will need to go back to Layout with Alt+p and down arrow, then tab to the settings for before Paragraph and after Paragraph and make sure they are both set to 0.

Otherwise, you get odd extra spacing and sighted folks, at least my wife, are not happy.

I hope that helps,

Richard

"There's a nap for that." - an anonymous cat in a window in Portland, Oregon.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 5:14 AM
To: JList <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Word 365 Font, Line Spacing & Margins

Hi All,

I don't run Word 365, so could someone please post steps for how to set font, line spacing & margins for the young ladies post below?

Hello,
In windows 7 and ms word 10, pages had 46 lines, but in windows 10 and ms word 365 pages only have around 30 lines.

What can I do to have pages of 46 lines?

Just in case, I use jaws 2020.
Rena

Thank you all very much.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.