moderated Chrome & PDFs - something changed for me

Van Lant, Robin

All,

On my company provided laptop, I’m using Google Chrome Version 81.0.4044.92 on Windows 10.  It used to be that opening a PDF file in Chrome, whether from a link on a website or in an email that links to a PDF on a website, Google would open it and the first thing I would hear was a set of options  that included rotate clockwise, download and such.  Tabbing past those would put me in the document and I could read the PDF.  Suddenly, this has changed.  Now, when I open a pDF, it will not read and it reminds me of the old IE 11 experience.  I can navigate to the address bar and Chrome menu, but I cannot find a way to enable the view I used to get.  Thankfully, I have found that pressing Control S will allow me to save the PDF to my laptop and then open it in Adobe, but this adds extra steps for items I may not want to save in the end.   I don’t know if this is coincidental, but I now see that my Chrome is “managed by my organization”, which means my company  can change my settings.  I wonder if they changed something not knowing the access impact it would have.

Any won have experience with turning on or off settings that would allow you to access a PDF from within Chrome?  I don’t see anything in the settings that looks right. Thought I’d check here before I tried contacting Google via Be My Eyes to ask.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114