moderated Re: browsers

Maria Campbell

Agree.  I only remember shortcuts after a while of seeing them.  I hate ribbons for the same reason that they hide everything in layers and layers.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 5/4/2020 9:50 AM, Chris Hill wrote:

Not really.  It is a lot simpler to remember that something you use occasionally is in a certain category, then you just dig through that category.  I gave up on the keyboard shortcuts thing a long time ago, way too much to remember and every program is different for anything but a few common tasks.  I think Chromium-based browsers are obnoxious for the poor menu design, I guess that worked for somebody who thought it was efficient.

On 5/3/2020 15:13, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 10:34 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
Firefox is not a chromium-based browser, thank god.  It has a normal type menu structure with file, edit, etc on a menu bar, unlike chromium browsers which bury most of what you need in one giant menu you have to cursor down through.
You are absolutely correct that Firefox is not based on the Chromium code.  I hope that my previous post was not taken to imply that it is (though I saw one after mine that did incorrectly lump Firefox in with other Chromium-based browsers).

However, I have never gotten the complaint about menu buttons versus menus.  Unless you know exactly where something is in a given menu-driven system you have to go from menu to menu and traverse them until you find it.  If it's something you use with any frequency, you then make a note of the keyboard shortcut sequence that gets you straight to it.  This is not much different at all than dealing with a menu button where the main menu is a single integrated item.  You still have to learn what is where, and make note of how to get there efficiently.  Six of one, half a dozen of another.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss