moderated Re: Accessible System Backup Image software, (WAS) the latest update to jaws 2020 giving me a fit

David Griffith

I hesitate to enter the discussion again in case I provoke Brian into one of his threatened screams which seems a strangely emotional response.

Specifically  in relation to the points made the clone of your OS can  be surprisingly small, in the Snapshot case between 20-30GB in my case – although I have all my data on separate drives from my SSD.

By the way the claim that you would only want an image restore in the case of catastrophic failure is I think a strange claim. I don’t know why developers would include the feature if this was true.

I have several times re-imaged Windows from within a bootable Windows for many different reasons.

  1. Sometimes Windows has just slowed up for indeterminable reasons. Rather than dive into reasons why it is simpler to go back to a known clean working image.
  2. On one occasion I had a company unfortunately non responsive over an activation difficulty – again  restoring re-instating my image sorted this issue.
  3. On another occasion my main media player started not working properly despite un-install and re-install. Again a quick 20 minute re-instatement of my image sorted this.
  4. Finally on thankfully only the one occasion I managed to have a Trojan on my machine that neither ESET Smart Security nor Malwarebytes was able to remove. There were masses of instructions online on how I had to go into Safe mode etc to get rid of it but again I simply used Snapshot to go back to a clean install which removed the issue quickly.

However if there is truly a solution which provides support for catastrophic failure as helpfully suggested earlier I like others would be keen to investigate this as it could be a money saver avoiding the need to employ sighted help.

David Griffith