moderated Re: Goldwave or Audacity?

David Bailes

Hi Craig,
the current version of Audacity, 2.3.3 should work fine with your new laptop. There's a guide for users of screen readers here:
http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/Audacity-2.3.2-Guide.html

There's a mailing list, Audacity4Blind, and details of how to join the group are given in the introduction of that guide.
David.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 03:53 AM, Craig Cooper wrote:
When I used Audacity a couple of years ago, it tended to crash the
computer. However, this was an old machine, and I've been told that a
newer laptop would work fine with the program.

On 4/20/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:
Hi.
Reaper is not that much more costly than Goldwave at all.
It's definitely more powerful, versatile and so on.
But it's also much, much more complex piece of software. There is a
considerable learning curve if you haven't used serious DAWs before. At
least I find it so -- your milage may vary.
So again it depends on what you'd like to do. Goldwave is a good little
programme for single track editing and your money would be well spent.
However, if you are looking into doing serious audio work...multitracking,
complex efects chains, adaptability with various sorts of vst
plugins...Reaper may also be worth the investment.
If you're new to multitrack editing, you could certainly start with
Audacity. It is free and unlike goldwave it does have true multitrack
capability.

From: Craig Cooper [mailto:craigcooper2013@...]
To: main <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Monday, April 20, 2020, 2:57 PM
Subject: Goldwave or Audacity?
Greetings,
Which of these two audio editing programs would you recommend? I have used
both a bit. I am using JAWS 2019 with a new laptop, running Windows 10.
Which program is better in terms of being user-friendly, working well with
JAWS, the ability to easily adjust levels for mixing voice and music beds,
etc.?
Thank you for your advice.
Regards,
Craig