moderated Re: Using JAWS to create a label for a button on a web site, which has no text label

Mike B.

Hi Dave,

Have you tried marking that button with a Placemarker instead?  You can  then name the placemarker, maybe!

Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 1:32 AM
Subject: Re: Using JAWS to create a label for a button on a web site, which has no text label

Hello Mike:

I used the suggestion you provided from Carlos, on the web site to which I referred.

I created a text label for the link which opens the shopping basket page, and I also created a label for the button, which deletes an item from the shopping basket. Both these now speak the 2 elements.

However, there is a button on the home page which activates the search function. JAWS allowed me to create a label for the button. However, when I entered text for an item in the Search edit field, and tabbed to the Search button to activate the search, the text label I created for the button, was not spoken by JAWS. The button to start the search, appears to be an HTML defined button. so, it is a mystery, why JAWS will not speak the label I created for it.

Dave Durber

From: Carlos
Place focus on the link or button to which you want to assign a label, press Insert+F2, and select
"Custom Label" from the list.
This has been in JAWS going back at least several versions.  These are different features for doing similar things.  The "Prompt Creator" and "Graphics
Labeler" are used for labeling controls and graphics in applications.  The "Custom Label" option is used for labeling HTML elements like buttons and links
on webpages.
Carlos

From: Mauricio Molina
When on the Internet, once you locate a button without a label, press JAWS / Insert Key, Control, + Tab.  You will then be asked to type in a label.
Mauricio

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Hello everyone:

The other day, I accessed a web site, which on the whole, was very
accessible.

Unfortunately, there were 2 problems. the first, was the link, which took
you to the shopping basket page. This link had no text lable, to tell a user
of a screen reader the purpose of the link. The link is a standard HTML
coded link.

the second is a standard HTML button, which also does not have a text label.
This button is for removing an item from the shopping basket.

My question is, is there a way within JAWS, where you can attach labels to
specific links and buttons on an individual web site?

The link and button on this web site are not graphics

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Durber