moderated Re: searching my computer

Andrew J. LaPointe

Thank you for this information.  Andy and Shubert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 11:01 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: searching my computer

Is this a network drive, as Chris suggested it might be, or is it a USB drive (whether flash or HDD or SSD), or is it a partition on one of the internal drives in your computer?

Windows search only searches indexed locations, and though you can set it to search non-indexed locations, believe me, you don't want to do that.  You need to open Control Panel, Indexing options and check to see what your indexed locations actually are a the moment.  If you wish to edit these to add or delete a drive, that drive has to be connected when you're attempting to do so.  Activate the Modify button, and at the top there is a grouping Change selected location that contains a list of locations with checkboxes next to them (and dropdown arrows to expand in case you only want to index some specific folder or folders in a drive).  Checking the checkbox for the drive you want to have searched will add it to the index.

You can add networked drives to the index, and that's well explained here:  https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/add-network-folder-to-windows-search-index/

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them.

~ Joshua Liebman

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.