moderated Re: An accessible router

Randy Barnett

Netgear nighthawk series is great.

On 4/15/2020 7:37 PM, Audiobookfan wrote:
I think I might be in the market for a new router myself. I got my stimulus payment and figure it's a good way to use some of it.

However, I'm not as concerned with accessibility as I am with performance. I'm experiencing an issue with my current router where the 5 GHz band frequently crashes, disconnecting all the devices and requiring a reboot of the router. I can't figure out what is causing this and am completely baffled as to how to troubleshoot it.

I'm hoping that upgrading to new hardware will resolve the problem. I have about 15 wifi devices connected simultaneously, a third of them are connected to the 5 GHz band.

Since I'm investing in a new router, I'd like to get one that offers wifi 6 support, but I live in a 1 level apartment that's less than 1000 square feet, so I don't need a mesh router. What I want to know is which features should I be considering to support this many devices with room to expand. Does a triband router support more devices? I've read something about streams and the speeds a router will provide. What should I be looking for in a router? Brand recommendations would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff