Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: An accessible router

The problem is that the modems most ISP’s provide and which are also WiFi routers have to have a password because a large majority of people would never set one and that would result in a huge liability if, for example, they end up connecting cameras in their house and then somebody could very easily access them via an unprotected network. A lot of these Internet of things devices are insecure enough as it is.

If you buy a router from one of the known brands such as Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, D-Link, Asus and so on there will be a default password which often is “password” or “admin” or something like thart.

If you don’t know the default password of your router but you know the brand you can simply Google something like “What is the default password for a Netgear router” and you’ll find the answer.

This of course means you absolutely have to change the password to something a lot more secure because if you can Google what the password is so can anybody else and the people who make it their business to hack into home networks probably don’t even have to Google it as they’ll know the default passwords of most brands by heart.

Best regards,

Sieghard