moderated Re: Would someone share a default.jdf file, please?

Leo

well, I know that English language represent a challenge when it comes to how synthesizers pronounce homophones, but I believe I was misunderstood.

All I want is someone willing to share their default.jfd file, of course, assuming that as an native English speaker has already added the correct pronunciation in many cases.

For example, if you guys try to read the following word using eloquence, and then try to read it using vocalizer, you'll notice the difference.

the word is

voila

Best,
   Leo
On 4/9/2020 9:45 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:

Marie,

Interestingly, my Dectalk Express synthesizer read “read” correctly both times in your example, that is, present tense first, then past tense. Whoever is behind this engine, or possibly the JAWS pronunciation itself, figured out a way to tell a synthesizer when to read certain words a certain way. Not all words work as well. “Polish” comes to mind. Whether it’s the surface smoother or a person from Poland, the pronunciation is the same.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Would someone share a default.jdf file, please?

Part of the problem could be the weird issue in the English language of spelling words the same but having a different pronunciation depending on where the word is used. Unfortunately a screen reader can only have one way of pronouncing these word so they pick the most common usage.

Example is you might read a text today or you may have read it yesterday.

Marie

Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 10:05 AM

Subject: Would someone share a default.jdf file, please?

Hi everyone,

I like to use eloquence synthesizer because it’s very responsive, and I’m used to it. However, if you use this voice on a regular basis, you’ll have probably noticed that eloquence awkwardly mispronounce lots of words, some of them very common words. So, I wonder if someone has a default dictionary for jaws that is willing to share. Besides, given that I’m not a native English speaker, all too often I can’t figure out how a word is accurately pronounced.

If someone could share with me their default.jdf file, I’d really appreciate it.

Tanks in advance

--
Best,
   Leo

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.