moderated Re: Would someone share a default.jdf file, please?

Adrian Spratt

Marie,

Interestingly, my Dectalk Express synthesizer read “read” correctly both times in your example, that is, present tense first, then past tense. Whoever is behind this engine, or possibly the JAWS pronunciation itself, figured out a way to tell a synthesizer when to read certain words a certain way. Not all words work as well. “Polish” comes to mind. Whether it’s the surface smoother or a person from Poland, the pronunciation is the same.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Would someone share a default.jdf file, please?

Part of the problem could be the weird issue in the English language of spelling words the same but having a different pronunciation depending on where the word is used. Unfortunately a screen reader can only have one way of pronouncing these word so they pick the most common usage.

Example is you might read a text today or you may have read it yesterday.

Marie