moderated Re: kindle books conversion to plain text files

Richard Turner

Here is a little more info.

Codex by James Scholes
Here is a little section from his web site. I encourage any avid readers to follow the link below and read about it and install the utility.
A few years ago, I wrote a tutorial which guided people through the installation and configuration of software for the purposes of gaining access to books
purchased from the Amazon Kindle Store. The guide proved popular, but it required heavy use of the command line, making it unsuitable and daunting for
quite a lot of people, not to mention that it was an absolute nightmare to troubleshoot if anything went wrong. Which it frequently did.
Subsequently, in 2014, I started to develop a small prototype application to make the process easier and more intuitive, not only for people wanting to
read Kindle eBooks, but also for me when people needed help. I named it Codex, a word used from the 16th century onwards to denote, now ancient, manuscripts
in book form. In the second half of 2015, I finally rewrote that prototype to include the functionality I wanted it to have from the start, and the software
is now publicly available to download.
Please note, that you can only convert books you have purchased and only for your use--you cannot share them with others without violating the copyright
laws and cheating the author out of their tiny royalties.
In order to convert your Kindle books with Codex, you will need to install Kindle For PC version 1.17, or earlier, but you can get from my web site 1.17 here:
http://turner42.com/KindleForPC-installer-1.17.44183.exe
Here is the link to the Codex Project web site.
http://jscholes.net/how-to-remove-drm-from-kindle-books-with-codex-2/
This is Richard again,
I purchased a Kindle book recently, Beginnings, A Kate Martinelli novella by Laurie R. King, and I couldn't download it and then update Kindle for PC, which was not a good plan.
Make sure you get into the Kindle for PC settings and turn off automatic updates.
Also, if you haven't used Kindle For PC, the registration screen is not very accessible and you may need sighted assistance to get your account set up.
I think I will uninstall and try grabbing an older version even from the link Dean sent.

Richard