moderated Re: kindle books conversion to plain text files

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Like David, I have no desire whatsoever to read on my pc. Unfortunately, it is an either/or situation with Kindle. Either you read books on the computer, in which case you can use the latest Kindle for Pc which has screen reader features, or you use Codex, which requires the older Kindle for PC version which does not. I choose the latter. I convert Kindle books into .txt or .epub effortlessly, and read them on my braille device or on and iPhone using Voice Dream Reader. Getting this process set up is a little tricky, but once that small hurdle is overcome, Kindle is wonderful.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Goldfield
Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 12:21 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: kindle books conversion to plain text files

Hello. Codex continues to work but in order to use it you must use an
earlier version of the Kindle for PC software which will not work at all
with screen readers. This is a tradeoff I am willing to make as I have
no desire to be tethered to my computer in order to read a book and
prefer to use my iPhone. However, for several reasons I acknowledge that
this is not an ideal situation for some people and that being able to
use a Windows computer to read Kindle content may be preferable and even
necessary.

On 4/7/2020 5:40 PM, Sue J. Ward wrote:
Hello. I noticed a post in reading kindle books using jaws don't know
if it has been posted to the web training on demand yet, think it is
going to be covered this Thursday April 9. I was wondering if you
download books from the kindle store and you want to convert them so
you can read in notepad what does everyone use since back in 2016
codex worked really well on my machine it does not work anymore, and
since we are in the year 2020 what other programs can you use to
convert the books from the kindle format to a plain text file? Thanks
for any help.