moderated Re: How do I make it so I don't have to hit the FN key on an Asus Laptop.

Marie

Kevin, I have an Asus laptop and I don’t think you want to disable the FN key because using it with the arrow keys works very well once you get used to it. And try the methods posted by Brian and  Pramit to get the function keys back to what we are used to as f1 through f12.

Marie

From: Kevin Minor
Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 4:59 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: How do I make it so I don't have to hit the FN key on an Asus Laptop.

Hi.

To keep this on topic, I’m using JAWS 2020 on the latest Windows 10 PC. It’s an Asus laptop. I don’t remember the model, but it has 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB SSD, and an 11 inch touch screen. It also has that dreaded FN key, and that is annoying, because you have to hit it along with the function keys to work with some JAWS functions. I have a nice Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that has a numeric keypad, and I made it so the FN key isn’t needed to hit the function keys to do things like have JAWS tell you the time. How do I disable it?

I have one other question. The laptop keyboard doesn’t have a numeric pad, so you use a combination of keys to accomplish something, such as FN+LEFT ARROW is the equivalent of the HOME key. If I make it so the FN key is no longer necessary, would that key combination no longer work?

Thanks in advance for help.

Kevin and Jilly, and Valerie who is practicing social distancing from her home