moderated Re: How do I make it so I don't have to hit the FN key on an Asus Laptop.

Pramit

Hi Kevin,

Try hitting FN key and Esc key once simultaneously, if that doesn't work use the other method.

To disable or enable the function key (Fn) in the BIOS follow the below steps:

• Turn off the computer.
• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.
• Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.
• Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the Enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
• Select the desired mode:
• Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (Fn) while pressing one of the F1 through F12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

Pramit

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 5:29 AM Kevin Minor <kminor65@...> wrote:

Hi.

To keep this on topic, I’m using JAWS 2020 on the latest Windows 10 PC. It’s an Asus laptop. I don’t remember the model, but it has 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB SSD, and an 11 inch touch screen. It also has that dreaded FN key, and that is annoying, because you have to hit it along with the function keys to work with some JAWS functions. I have a nice Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that has a numeric keypad, and I made it so the FN key isn’t needed to hit the function keys to do things like have JAWS tell you the time. How do I disable it?

I have one other question. The laptop keyboard doesn’t have a numeric pad, so you use a combination of keys to accomplish something, such as FN+LEFT ARROW is the equivalent of the HOME key. If I make it so the FN key is no longer necessary, would that key combination no longer work?

Thanks in advance for help.

Kevin and Jilly, and Valerie who is practicing social distancing from her home