moderated Re: How do I make it so I don't have to hit the FN key on an Asus Laptop.

Without a specific model number, it is impossible to give definitive advice, but I'll tell you what I do know from the ASUS support page, [Notebook] Asus Keyboard hotkeys - Introduction, which was updated on March 10, 2020.

ASUS keyboard hotkeys are ON by default.  That is you don't have to press Fn+ a function key in order to get the hotkey function activate, e.g., volume up/down. And that's apparently the state you're in.

There is a built-in app on ASUS laptops called, ASUS Keyboard Hotkeys, that allows you to toggle between hotkey function and straight function key mode via the radio button you select.  Hit Windows Key and immediately start typing "Asus keyboard" and it's likely to be the first search result at the top.  Activate the app and then choose the radio button for F1-F12 as opposed to Hotkeys, close the app, and your Function Keys should act as straight function keys.

        ~ Joshua Liebman