moderated Re: VLC Revisited

Norma A. Boge

Hi David, randomly changing settings is a feature of Windows 10, hahaha. I’ve had this happen and it is frustrating to say the least. It’s probably my biggest complaint about Win 10. Best, Norma

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Saturday, April 4, 2020 4:09 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: VLC Revisited

I thought I  would just post to say how I had resolved my VLC difficulty.

Some may recall last week that out of the blue VLC suddenly refused to play any media for me.

Altering   settings in VLC, including adjusting volume made no difference.

I therefore uninstalled and reinstalled VLC – still no difference.

I then had to install WinAmp to provide a replacement for the  last week.

Tonight I suddenly remembered that I had not checked the Windows Sound Mixer.

I typed sndvol after pressing the Windows key.

Sure enough when I came to the VLC slider  in the Windows Mixer I found that VLC had been set to 0%.

I changed this to 100%  and VLC suddenly blared back to life.

Quite what had happened in Windows to set VLC in the Sound Mixer to 0% is a complete mystery to me. I am the only person using this PC and I have been nowhere near the Windows Sound Mixer since last year.

Some errant electrons have obviously strayed where they should not stray.

Anyway I have VLC back working again and thought I would post this in case someone else encountered this or a similar issue.

David Griffith.